Halaxy integrates directly with QuickBooks so invoices and expenses you create in Halaxy are automatically replicated in QuickBooks, saving you time and effort, and also making it easier for your accountants and other advisers to provide you with accounting and bookkeeping services.
Syncing and connecting your Halaxy with your QuickBooks account
Before you can sync your Halaxy and Quickbook accounts, you need to turn on the Deposit option in Quickbooks. Follow the steps below:
- In QuickBooks, go to the menu in the top-right and click the cogwheel icon.
- Click Company Settings > Sales.
- In the "Sales form content" section, click Deposit.
- Tick the Deposit checkbox and click Save.
You can now connect your Halaxy with your QuickBooks account by following these steps:
- Click Settings > Payments.
- In the Accounting section. click Add New.
- Select whether you want to sync Halaxy at a group, clinic or individual level:
- Group: all invoices, expenses and payments for the practice group can sync into the one QuickBooks account;
- Clinic: invoices, expenses and payments for a specific practice location will sync to a specific QuickBooks account, with clinic-specific preferences;
- Individual: An individual practitioner's invoices, expenses and payments will sync into a QuickBooks account. You can choose to further specify whether this is for All locations or Selected clinics only.
- Click Connect to QuickBooks. You are taken to a QuickBooks log-in page.
- Log in to your QuickBooks account, select the organisation and click Connect to authorise the connection between your QuickBooks and Halaxy accounts. After the connection is approved (usually within 5 to 10 seconds), the page refreshes and you are taken back to your Halaxy Payments page.
- Customise your revenue and expense preferences: After the connection is enabled, you can tailor where invoices, expenses and payments are synced in QuickBooks. You also have the option of further specifying your preferences by fee category (for revenue) and payment method (for invoice and expense payments). Click the Edit icon to the right of the QuickBooks line in the Accounting section of the Payments page in order to:
- Choose the date from which you want your Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts synced;
- Select which charts of accounts you want to sync for revenue (you can choose from all Income/Revenue charts of accounts you have set up in Quickbooks);
- Select which charts of accounts you want to sync for expenses (you can choose from all Expense charts of accounts you have set up in Quickbooks);
- Select which charts of accounts you want to sync for invoice payments and expense payments (you can choose from all Cash or Cash equivalent charts of accounts you have set up in Quickbooks);
- Select if you want to anonymise patient names in QuickBooks - in which case the patient name is replaced with the patient's unique Halaxy ID (which can be seen in the URL when you are viewing the patient's profile);
- Select if you want to sync only invoices with a payment (i.e. invoices for which an auto payment has been processed, or invoices that have been marked as partially or fully paid); and
- Select if you want to exclude payments syncing for invoices and/or expenses.
How syncing works
After your Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts are synced, the connection is continuous and permanent, so invoices, expenses and payments you create in Halaxy automatically appear in your QuickBooks account. In other words, you do not need to re-sync your accounts whenever you create an invoice because invoices created in Halaxy automatically appear in your QuickBooks account.
All types of invoices created in Halaxy are synced to your QuickBooks account, including invoices to patients, organisations, third parties and funding bodies (who are automatically added to your list of contacts in QuickBooks if they are not already listed as contacts), with the Halaxy invoice number synced across to your QuickBooks account.
You can view your Halaxy invoices in your QuickBooks list of Invoices when you are logged into your QuickBooks account (the invoice number shown in Halaxy is synced across to your QuickBooks account). If you are not logged into your QuickBooks account, you can view a particular Halaxy invoice in your QuickBooks account by:
- Clicking the QuickBooks button at the top right of the invoice to see the QuickBooks sync history; and
- In the QuickBooks sync history (which shows invoices and payments made in Halaxy and whether they have been successfully synced with QuickBooks), clicking the blue link to the QuickBooks invoice.
You are then taken to the invoice in QuickBooks without the need to log in to your QuickBooks account. The fee name, fee amount and tax rate are automatically shown as are the due date, amount owing and amount paid. Deposits made in Halaxy are counted as prepayments; if a patient's deposit is assigned in Halaxy to a particular invoice, the prepayment is drawn down in QuickBooks.
When the invoice is paid in Halaxy (either because you have marked the invoice as paid or because the payment was processed electronically), the invoice is automatically marked as paid in QuickBooks and the payment shown in the correct chart of accounts.
All expenses created in Halaxy are synced to your QuickBooks account automatically, which you can see in your QuickBooks list of Expenses when you are logged into your QuickBooks account. If you are not logged into your QuickBooks account, you can view a particular Halaxy expense in your QuickBooks account by clicking the QuickBooks button at the top right of the expense and, in the QuickBooks sync history, clicking the link to the expense in QuickBooks.
Things to note
Below are a number of things to note regarding your synced Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts:
- One-way syncing: The syncing between your Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts is one-way. Invoices, expenses and payments created in Halaxy automatically appear in your QuickBooks account but invoices, expenses and payments created in your QuickBooks account do not automatically appear in your Halaxy account. Therefore if you mark an invoice as paid in QuickBooks, the invoice payment status contradicts the invoice payment status in Halaxy. The payment status in QuickBooks is not synced across to Halaxy, so you need to update the invoice status in Halaxy.
- Payment methods: whereas payment methods are tracked in Halaxy, they are not tracked in QuickBooks, so payment methods recorded in Halaxy are not synced to QuickBooks.
- Auto payments: Halaxy invoices that have been paid through auto payments are fully synced with your QuickBooks account when the funds have been disbursed to you, usually two business days after the payment is processed, which you can see on your Auto Payments reports. Halaxy automatically syncs a negative invoice line when the auto payment is synced with QuickBooks so that your invoice balances. For example, if you process a $100 auto payment and the transaction fee is $3, Halaxy syncs the $100 invoice line and the $97 payment to you, and it also syncs a -$3 invoice line so that your invoice balances.
- Rebates processed (in Australia): invoices with bulk bill and DVA rebates paid to you are fully synced with your QuickBooks account when the rebates have been paid to you, which you can confirm on your Medicare reports.
- Deleting invoices: Although you can delete invoices in most circumstances in Halaxy, you cannot delete invoices in QuickBooks, so if you delete an invoice in Halaxy the invoice is not automatically deleted in QuickBooks. Therefore, you need to manually void the invoice in QuickBooks.
- Unpaid invoices: Unpaid invoices appear in your QuickBooks account with a status of "Draft". To avoid this happening, ensure you select that you want to sync only invoices with a payment at the top of the QuickBooks & Halaxy Connection page.
Unsyncing your Halaxy from your QuickBooks account
You can unsync your Halaxy and your QuickBooks account at any time by clicking the Cancel icon at the right of the QuickBooks line in the Accounting section of the Payments page. Confirm that you want to revoke the connection and click the Save button to sever the link between your Halaxy and your QuickBooks account. You can reconnect your Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts at any time.
Unsyncing your Halaxy and QuickBooks accounts does not unsync any of the data that has already been synced.
Changing which accounts are synced
If you want to change which Halaxy account or which QuickBooks account is used for syncing, unsync the accounts you do not want to be synced, and then sync the accounts you do want to be synced.
You can produce a report to see all invoices, expenses and deposits with their syncing status. You can create this report by selecting the Reports page under the Finances tab.