You can refund a payment processed through Halaxy in three ways:
- Directly back to the cardholder;
- As a manual refund outside of Halaxy (this lets you reconcile your finances without actually using Halaxy to process the refund); and
- As a deposit to use on other invoices.
For each of the refund options, you can change the amount to be refunded; you can make a full or a partial refund, which will be reflected on the Payments section of the invoice.
How to refund a payment
- From the invoice, click Refund next to the payment you want to refund. The Refund Payment pop-up screen appears.
- Choose one of the following options:
- To refund the payment back to the cardholder (to the same card), Fill out the Method, Date and Amount fields;
- To process the refund outside of Halaxy, select "manual refund";
- To reuse the payment as a deposit on other invoices, select "Reuse payment".
- Click Submit.
NOTE: For security purposes, electronic payments can only be refunded to the same account from which they were originally processed, unless you are choosing a non-electronic method. Refunds will appear as a Halaxy charge on your credit statement and will also appear on your Expenses page within Halaxy.
For electronic payments, the Refund button may not appear if this is the first time the credit card is being used. If there is no option to refund the payment, please contact the Halaxy service team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reusing payments as deposits on other invoices
If a refund is made as a deposit for future invoices, the deposit will be held on the patient’s General page. When you are ready to use the deposit for a payment, open an invoice issued to the same payer. A new button labelled Deposit will appear next to outstanding charges. Click Deposit to use the deposit to pay the invoice.