Once a fee has been added to your Fees List in Halaxy, you can add it to any appointment or directly onto an invoice with or without an appointment. You can use different fees to charge for appointments and services (such as treatment or reports), for products you sell, and for funding bodies (e.g. a health fund or workers compensation scheme).
You can manage your fees through your Fees List by clicking Finances > Fees. In addition to being able to create your own fees, you can also import preset fees from Halaxy's global fee database, saving you time and effort.
Fees can be edited at any time and can include a rebate amount (if applicable); custom pricing blocks for different dates, practitioners or clinics; a duration (for appointment fees); and colour coding for your Halaxy calendar.
Adding Fees to your Fees List
You can add fees to your Fees List in three ways:
- through your calendar when you make an appointment
- on an invoice
- on the Fees List page
Adding fees to your Fees List through your calendar or through an invoice
You can quickly add a new fee that is not on your Fees List when making an appointment.
- Go to Schedule > Calendar and select the time slot you want to book the appointment into.
- The appointment details window will appear on the right-hand side of the page. Simply start typing a few letters of the fee name or funding body in the Fees field and click the fee in the drop-down menu.
RESULT: The fee is added to your Fees List, as well as to the appointment and the linked invoice.
You can also do the same when adding a fee to an invoice:
- In the Fees and Charges section of your invoice, click Add Fee (or Add Another Fee if the invoice already contains a fee)
- The Add Invoice Line pop-up window will appear. Start typing a few letters of the fee name or funding body in the Fees field.
- If the fee is not in your Fees List but is already listed in the Halaxy fee database, it is shown in grey and you can 'import' the fee to your own Fees List by selecting it from the list. Key information is already listed for the fee - all you need to do is review it and add the fee amount that you charge. Click Save to add the fee to your Fees List.
- If the fee is not in your Fees List and not listed in the Halaxy fee database, select that you want to add the fee to your Fees List and complete the form that appears to add the fee to your Fees List (See Adding fees through the Fees List, below).
Adding fees through the Fees List page
You can also add a fee from your Fees List. Click Finances > Fees, then click New Fee at the top-right of the page.
Enter the fee name or funding body in the Lookup field. If a similar fee is already listed in your Fees List (e.g. if you are wanting to copy some details of an existing fee) or is listed in Halaxy's fee database, you can copy it to your Fees List. All the details are pre-populated in the form for you to review. You can make any changes required (e.g. the fee amount if you have imported the fee from the Halaxy fee list) and click Save. The fee is then saved to your Fees List.
If the fee is not in your Fees List or in Halaxy's fee database, add the fee details below:
- Funder: The name of the funding body. So that your invoices and clinical reports meet the requirements of the funding body, select the funder from your existing funders or from Halaxy's preset funding bodies if it is listed (this will configure your invoices and clinical reports to the correct settings). If the funding body is not listed, select to add it to your Funder List.
- Fee name: The name of the fee (e.g. "Initial consultation in rooms").
- Item number: The number or other identification used by funding bodies or that your practice uses to identify the fee.
- Duration: The length of the appointment - i.e. the time that is booked out in your calendar for the appointment whenever you add this fee to an appointment. Only appears for appointment fees.
- Fee type: whether the fee is for:
- An appointment, e.g. for treatment or assessment
- An item, e.g. for products or items that you provide such as bandages and splints for which you charge and for which you can also manage inventory
- A pro rata fee (hourly rate). E.g. if you enter a pro rata fee of $100 on your Fees List and then make an appointment with a duration of 90 minutes, your Halaxy automatically calculates the fee for the appointment as $150.
- Category: e.g. treatment, assessment, group appointment or travel. Fee categories are useful to record for your financial reporting
- Status: i.e. current or archived
- Fee visibility: set to public if you want this fee visible on your directory profile; set to hidden if you do not want this fee visible on your directory profile
- Online booking custom name: for online bookings, custom name is used; useful when the name needs to be shortened for mobile device visibility
- Online booking notes: the full name of the fee or other information
- Amount: the fee amount excluding tax - Halaxy automatically calculates the total payable for you including any tax
- Tax: the amount of tax charged in your jurisdiction for the type of fee - many jurisdictions do not tax treatment consultations but do tax non-treatment fees
- Rebate: the amount of any claim or rebate available from the relevant funding body - if the whole fee is chargeable to a funding body or third party the rebate and price should be the same
- Appointment colour: appointments with this fee are shown in the colour you select on your calendar (see below)
- Text colour: the details for appointments with this fee (e.g. patient name) are shown in this colour on your calendar.
Setting appointment colours for fees
Patient appointments are shaded blue on your calendar by default (or green if made by online booking). However, you can set appointment colours for different types of appointments based on the fee. For example, you may want all initial appointments to be shaded green and ongoing appointments shaded yellow, or you may want all appointments for funding body X to be shaded purple and all appointments for funding body Y to be shaded brown.
You can select a fee colour when you add a fee on your calendar or on your Fees List in one of two ways:
- From one of the preset colour swatches below the Colour field; or
- By clicking the Colour field and selecting the colour from the colour picker.
You can also select the colour of the text (e.g. the patient name) on an appointment. For example, if your appointment is coloured yellow, you may wish to make the text black, whereas if your appointment is coloured dark blue, you may wish to make the text white.
When you click Save, appointments with this fee are shaded the selected colour on your calendar.
Editing and updating an existing fee
You can edit and update a fee by going to Finances > Fees and clicking the fee from the Fees List.
You can edit your fee details, and update the amount you charge for each fee. This can be done automatically for fees you have imported from the Halaxy fee database or manually for any fees you have created yourself.
Editing fee details
You can change the following aspects of a fee:
- Fee name;
- Item number;
- Fee type (i.e. appointment, item or pro-rata);
- category (e.g. treatment, assessment, equipment, etc);
- duration, which affects the default duration on an appointment when this fee is added to an appointment;
- colour of appointments with this fee on the calendar;
- Online booking custom name; and
- Online booking notes.
You can also change the fee status (i.e. current or archived), amount, rebate and tax in the Pricing section. (See below: Adding and editing pricing blocks).
Adjusting how much you charge for a fee
Funding bodies will periodically update their fees which means you will need to ensure your fee records are up to date in order to avoid charging the wrong rates.
You can manually make these changes at any time by adjusting the amount and rebate fields of your fees, or if you have imported your fees from the Halaxy database, the new rates are automatically made available for you to update in just a few clicks.
Automatically updating your fees
When fee updates are available you will see an Update Fees button appear at the top of your Fees page.
The Import Preset Fee Updates window will appear. Select the fee you wish to update by clicking on the corresponding Update button.
Confirm whether you would like to apply the update to future invoices, past invoices, all invoices or to not update any invoices.
Click Save to complete the update.
For fees that have not been imported from the Halaxy fee database, or if you want to update a fee at any other time, you can do so manually by selecting the fee and editing the pricing block.
Adding and editing pricing blocks
Pricing blocks allow you to use the same fee but charge different amounts. There are a number of reasons you may wish to use pricing blocks; for example, you may wish to charge different rates at different locations, or if individual practitioners in your group may want to charge different rates for the same fee. You can also use pricing blocks to set the date that a rate change comes into effect, to archive fees for certain practitioners or to make fees visible online.
Pricing blocks can be set a group level (the default level for your practice group), clinic level (for different clinic locations) or individual practitioner level.
To edit an existing price block, go to Finances > Fees and select the fee from the list. Scroll down to the Pricing section and click on the pencil icon under Actions.
The Edit Fee Pricing window will appear, within which you can change the following details:
- Status: set whether the fee is current or archived
- Visibility: determine if you want to make the fee publicly visible online (meaning it can be used for online bookings) or hidden
- Amount: the amount you charge
- Tax rule: whether this amount includes tax, excludes tax or if tax is not applicable
- Rebate: the rebate amount. For third-party billing, the rebate amount is the amount paid by the third party.
NOTE: Although you can change the amount entered into the rebate field, when you process the claim only the amount set by Medicare/DVA or the relevant funding body will be paid.
After you have made the changes to the pricing block, set what you want to happen to past and future invoices with this fee - there are four options:
- Update all future-dated invoices
- Update only past-dated invoices
- Update all existing invoices
- Do not update any existing invoices
The number of invoices affected by the change is shown next to each option. Click Save to update the fee and update any relevant invoices.
You can add a new pricing block in much the same way by clicking Add New Pricing Block.
Select whether you want the pricing block to apply at a clinic level (for changes only affecting specific clinic locations) - or on an individual level (for a specific practitioner). The Group-level pricing block is the default pricing block.
You can also set a date from which the new price comes into effect by clicking the "Date from" field.
Setting a commencing date for a pricing block
To set a date you want a pricing block to take effect from, click the Add Fee Pricing Date Range icon on the pricing block row:
In the Add Fee Pricing Date Range pop-up, click the "Date from" field to select the date that the new price comes into effect and then click Save.
This will create a new pricing block at the same level (Group, Clinic or Individual) that will take effect on the chosen date.
Deleting and archiving fees
To delete a fee from your Fees List, click the fee on your Fees List then click Delete at the top-right of the page. You are able to delete the fee if the fee has not been used on any invoices.
If the fee has been used on an invoice, you have two options:
- Remove the fee from all of the invoices on which it has been used (which could be quite time consuming); or
- Archive the fee. This is recommended because the fee is not shown when you select an appointment fee. Archiving a fee has the same effect as deleting a fee, without you needing to edit any invoices.
To archive a fee:
- Click the Fee in the Fees List.
- In the Pricing section, click the Edit (pencil) icon next to the fee. You can edit the status of the fee at the Group level as well as at the Individual level for specific practitioners.
- Change the status to Archived in the pop-up.
- Click Save to submit your changes.
RESULT: The archived fee will no longer appear in the list of selectable fees when adding a fee to an appointment or invoice. However, a record of it remains.