A patient's funding information can be accessed by clicking the patient to go to their profile, then clicking the Funding tab.
The Funding page records how an appointment is paid for and includes funding eligibility information, such as referrals, patient claiming information and patient payment information. Depending on the funding body and the program, fees may be paid wholly by the patient, wholly by the funding body, by a third party, by a combination of patient and funding body, or on another basis (e.g. by health outcome or by the number of patients on a practitioner's Patients List). Because this differs for every funding body and every program and every profession, and because it impacts the fee, invoice and clinical reporting requirements, it is incredibly complex and yet incredibly important because it determines whether you (or your patients) are paid or receive rebates.
Halaxy automatically manages the complex relationship between fees, invoices and clinical reports - all you need to do is enter a few details. This ensures that your invoices and clinical reports are compliant with funding bodies' requirements and helps ensure that you and your patients are paid as promptly as possible.
Adding payment details
Adding a patient's payment details allows you to:
- process their fee payments electronically in one click through Halaxy without the need to handle cash, EFTPOS or cheque payments; and
- process rebates electronically so that rebates are provided to you and your patients by funding bodies - available with certain funding bodies (e.g. Medicare in Australia).
Adding credit/debit cards
You can add a patient's payment details and enable electronic payments quickly and easily in two ways:
- Via their patient profile: go to the patient's profile, click the Funding tab and click Add Card in the Credit Card section. You can store the patient's payment details here to enable electronic processing of future fee payments.
- On their invoice: go to the invoice. In the Payments section, click Add Payment Details. You can process the payment immediately and either store the payment details for electronic processing of future fee payments by ticking the checkbox (note the CCV is not stored), or you can choose not to store the card details and continue having future fee payments paid by other means.
In the Name field, add the name on the card - if the patient is a child, a parent's card is permissible. Add the 16-digit card number in the Number field and select the type of credit card. Visa and MasterCard credit cards are accepted; Diners Club, American Express and transaction/debit cards are not accepted. Add the card expiry date in the expiry fields. If you are adding the payment details from an invoice, you can also enter the CCV number, although this is optional. Read and accept the terms and conditions and click Submit.
Adding deposit account details
Adding patient bank account details ensures Medicare can provide rebates to them overnight. Only savings and transaction accounts can be added because Medicare will not pay rebates into credit cards (though debit accounts are acceptable).
To add patient bank deposit account details:
- Go to the patient's profile and click the Funding tab.
- In the Bank Account section, click Add Account.
- Enter the patient's account name and deposit account information (branch code and account number) and click Save.
The account details are saved to the patient's profile. Whenever you successfully submit a rebate claim to Medicare on behalf of the patient, the rebate will be deposited into this account.
If a claimant is listed, the rebate is paid into the claimant's account and not the patient's.
Setting individual patients' Auto Payments preferences
Just as you can set individual patients' text reminder preferences, you can set individual patients' Auto Payments preferences on their Funding page to override the practice's default Auto Payments preferences. For example, if the overall practice preference is for payments to be processed at 5.00 p.m. each day but the patient would prefer payments to be processed manually, change the individual patient's preference to Manual on the Funding page of their patient profile.