Halaxy integrates directly with Xero so invoices and expenses you create in Halaxy are automatically replicated in Xero, saving you time and effort, and also making it easier for your accountants and other advisers to provide you with accounting and bookkeeping services.
Syncing and connecting your Halaxy with your Xero account
You can connect your Halaxy with your Xero account by following these steps:
- Under Settings, click Payments.
- In the Accounting section. click Add New.
- Select whether you want to sync Halaxy at a group, clinic or individual level:
- Group: all invoices, expenses and payments for the practice group can sync into the one Xero account;
- Clinic: invoices, expenses and payments for a specific practice location will sync to a specific Xero account, with clinic-specific preferences;
- Individual: An individual practitioner's invoices, expenses and payments will sync into a Xero account. You can choose to further specify whether this is for All locations or Selected clinics only.
- Click Connect to Xero. You are taken to a Xero log-in page.
- Log in to your Xero account, select the organisation and click Authorise to authorise the connection between your Xero and Halaxy accounts. After the connection is approved (usually within 5 to 10 seconds), the page refreshes and you are taken back to your Halaxy Payments page.
- Customise your revenue and expense preferences: After the connection is enabled, you can tailor where invoices, expenses and payments are synced in Xero. You also have the option of further specifying your preferences by fee category (for revenue) and payment method (for invoice and expense payments). Click the Edit icon to the right of the Xero line in the Accounting section of the Payments page in order to:
- Choose the date from which you want your Halaxy and Xero accounts synced;
- Select which revenue and expenses charts of accounts you want to use;
- Select which invoice payments and expense payments charts of accounts you want to use;
- Select if you want to anonymise patient names in Xero - in which case the patient name is replaced with the patient's unique Halaxy ID (which can be seen in the URL when you are viewing the patient's profile);
- Select if you want to sync only invoices with a payment (i.e. invoices for which an auto payment has been processed, or invoices that have been marked as partially or fully paid); and
- Select if you want to exclude payments syncing for invoices and/or expenses.
NOTE: The charts of account you can select in Halaxy are based on your Xero settings. If there is nothing to select in the charts of account drop-down menus in Halaxy, check the way you have set up charts of account in Xero.
How syncing works
After your Halaxy and Xero accounts are synced, the connection is continuous and permanent, so invoices, expenses and payments you create in Halaxy automatically appear in your Xero account. In other words, you do not need to re-sync your accounts whenever you create an invoice because invoices created in Halaxy automatically appear in your Xero account.
All types of invoices created in Halaxy are synced to your Xero account, including invoices to patients, organisations, third parties and funding bodies (who are automatically added to your list of contacts in Xero if they are not already listed as contacts), with the Halaxy invoice number synced across to your Xero account.
You can view your Halaxy invoices in your Xero list of Invoices when you are logged into your Xero account (the invoice number shown in Halaxy is synced across to your Xero account). If you are not logged into your Xero account, you can view a particular Halaxy invoice in your Xero account by:
- Clicking the Xero button at the top right of the invoice to see the Xero sync history; and
- In the Xero sync history (which shows invoices and payments made in Halaxy and whether they have been successfully synced with Xero), clicking the blue link to the Xero invoice.
You are then taken to the invoice in Xero without the need to log in to your Xero account. The fee name, fee amount and tax rate are automatically shown as are the due date, amount owing and amount paid. Deposits made in Halaxy are counted as prepayments; if a patient's deposit is assigned in Halaxy to a particular invoice, the prepayment is drawn down in Xero.
When the invoice is paid in Halaxy (either because you have marked the invoice as paid or because the payment was processed electronically), the invoice is automatically marked as paid in Xero and the payment shown in the correct chart of accounts.
All expenses created in Halaxy are synced to your Xero account automatically, which you can see in your Xero list of Expenses when you are logged into your Xero account. If you are not logged into your Xero account, you can view a particular Halaxy expense in your Xero account by clicking the Xero button at the top right of the expense and, in the Xero sync history, clicking the link to the expense in Xero.
Things to note
Below are a number of things to note regarding your synced Halaxy and Xero accounts:
- One-way syncing: The syncing between your Halaxy and Xero accounts is one-way. Invoices, expenses and payments created in Halaxy automatically appear in your Xero account but invoices, expenses and payments created in your Xero account do not automatically appear in your Halaxy account. Therefore if you mark an invoice as paid in Xero, the invoice payment status contradicts the invoice payment status in Halaxy. The payment status in Xero is not synced across to Halaxy, so you need to update the invoice status in Halaxy.
- Payment methods: whereas payment methods are tracked in Halaxy, they are not tracked in Xero, so payment methods recorded in Halaxy are not synced to Xero.
- Auto payments: Halaxy invoices that have been paid through auto payments are fully synced with your Xero account when the funds have been disbursed to you, usually two business days after the payment is processed, which you can see on your Auto Payments reports. Halaxy automatically syncs a negative invoice line when the auto payment is synced with Xero so that your invoice balances. For example, if you process a $100 auto payment and the transaction fee is $3, Halaxy syncs the $100 invoice line and the $97 payment to you, and it also syncs a -$3 invoice line so that your invoice balances.
- Rebates processed (in Australia): invoices with bulk bill and DVA rebates paid to you are fully synced with your Xero account when the rebates have been paid to you, which you can confirm on your Medicare reports.
- Deleting invoices: Although you can delete invoices in most circumstances in Halaxy, you cannot delete invoices in Xero, so if you delete an invoice in Halaxy the invoice is not automatically deleted in Xero. Therefore, you need to manually void the invoice in Xero.
- Unpaid invoices: Unpaid invoices appear in your Xero account with a status of "Draft". To avoid this happening, ensure you select that you want to sync only invoices with a payment at the top of the Xero & Halaxy Connection page.
Unsyncing your Halaxy from your Xero account
You can unsync your Halaxy and your Xero account at any time by clicking the Cancel icon at the right of the Xero line in the Accounting section of the Payments page. Confirm that you want to revoke the connection and click the Save button to sever the link between your Halaxy and your Xero account. You can reconnect your Halaxy and Xero accounts at any time.
Unsyncing your Halaxy and Xero accounts does not unsync any of the data that has already been synced.
Changing which accounts are synced
If you want to change which Halaxy account or which Xero account is used for syncing, unsync the accounts you do not want to be synced, and then sync the accounts you do want to be synced.
You can produce a report to see all invoices, expenses and deposits with their syncing status. You can create this report by selecting the Reports page under the Finances tab.