Australian-based practitioners can claim Medicare rebates online for eligible patients, including bulk bill patients. Rebates are electronically processed without the need for you or patients to attend a Medicare office, with rebates received overnight directly into patients' accounts (or your account in the case of bulk bill or DVA rebates).
All that is needed to register with Medicare for online Medicare rebates claiming is to complete the Online Claiming Provider Agreement registration form (available below or from your Users page), which is the formal agreement between you and Medicare for you and your practice to use Medicare online claiming. It is also the agreement for using DVA online claiming.
NOTE: You must complete the form for each of your practice locations you wish to make claims from.
Medicare takes about 2-4 days to register you for online claiming after they receive the completed form. You need to complete Medicare's online claiming registration process even if you have already registered with Medicare as a provider.
You do not need to obtain and install a PKI Site Certificate, because rebates are transmitted to Medicare via Halaxy's Communities of Interest certificate for your Halaxy account. You do not need to manage the PKI certificate process, which means that Halaxy can be used on iPads as well as PCs and Macs.
You can contact Medicare at any time on 1800 700 199 for help completing the form.
Accessing the registration form
You can access the Online Claiming Provider Agreement in two ways:
- On your Users page, where you can click the icon next to your Medicare ID to access a pre-populated version of the agreement so some of the fields of the agreement are already completed for you.
- From this link to the generic form, which has not been pre-populated with your information: Online Claiming Provider Agreement registration form
Tips for completing the form
Below are a list of tips for completing the registration form based on common questions Halaxy is asked about the form.
Pages 1 and 2
- Your name: use your full name that is registered with AHPRA.
- Provider number: should be 8 characters long, made up of digits and letters. If your provider number is 7 digits long, add a 0 at the start. To avoid confusion, write the number zero with a strike through it and the number 1 as it appears in computer print.
- PKI registration number: write "N/A" or leave this field blank.
- Terms on page 2: Read the terms on page 2 and contact Medicare on 1800 700 199 if you have any questions.
- Location ID / Minor ID: the unique identifier that Medicare uses to identify you and your software, which is automatically generated by Halaxy, found on the Users page under Medicare ID. Practitioners and administrators with full access can change practitioners' Location IDs - after a practitioner has been added to your practice, click the Edit button at the far right of their listing on your Users page, and change their Minor ID to your preferred option.
NOTE: Only Medicare-eligible professions will have a Location ID / Minor ID. If you do not have a Location ID listed in the Users page, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request a change to your profession type in Halaxy.
- Practice name: if you operate as a sole practitioner in your own name, use your own name.
- Practice address: your practice location not your home address, unless your practice is located in your home.
- Practice contact name: either your name, the practice owner's name or the main reception staff.
- Account number: can include up to 9 digits. If your account number is 6 digits long, write it with 3 spaces free. Medicare only deposits to transaction/debit cards, and it does not deposit to credit cards.
- Account name: the practice's account - there’s no need to set up a separate account for this purpose.
- Tick: Medicare Bulk bill/Department of Veterans' Affairs claims, not Australian Childhood Immunisation Register claims.
Where to send forms and other things to note
Mail, fax or email the registration form to Medicare at the addresses shown on page 1.
Medicare takes about 5 days to process your registration form after they have received it. Medicare does not always send you a formal notification that you have been registered. To ensure you have registered successfully, call Medicare on 1800 700 199 and advise them of your Provider Number, your bank account details and your Halaxy Location ID/Minor ID (CLK number).